Sunday, July 13, 2014

Weekend Eatings : week 4

As usual, most weekends are spent eating out. This week we tried out two places: Cabana Restaurant & Mason Jar.

Cabana
1022 3rd Ave, NY
This is a place we found on yelp while we were walking on the east side. We planned to have brunch at Radicchio but they were shut due to a power outage. Anyhow, Cabana had great reviews on yelp, so we headed there for some Cuban food. 


We came in with a stroller and someone ushered us to a corner booth seating (for 4) where we could fit our stroller. They quickly brought out the baby chair for Shane. Later, another guy came up to is and said in a not very nice tone that he will need to take part of the table for 2 away as there were going to be other customers... Umm like the restaurant was not full, had plenty of seating, and it's already 1pm. Was he expecting a tour group? If so, then I'm at the wrong place. Anyhow, my experience was ruined. The food was average (so average that I am not bothering to post pictures of them). I would say 3/5 for the pulled pork sandwich, and 3.5/5 for some meat pastry, rice and beans. Needless to say, we did not tip very much as the overall experience was average.


Mason Jar
43 East 30th St, NY
We came across this restaurant purely because there was a deal on restaurant.com and it was also part of Z's corporate perks. $15 voucher for $2.40. Not a bad deal right? It was only about a mile walk from where we live, so that was pretty convenient. Now, before I purchase vouchers, I normally look up if the restaurant is baby friendly. If I can't find any information on that, I normally would look at pictures of the restaurant to determine if there was space for a stroller or a baby chair. So yup! This place is definitely baby friendly. It's got plenty of room for parking a stroller, and they do have baby chairs.


So I had a Fried Chicken and Waffles and Z had the Mason Jar Eggs (which was like Eggs Benedict with Pulled Pork). I've tried a few places that serves fried chicken and waffles... this one was not bad, but it's not the best that I've had. The batter was too mild for the over powering maple syrup. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed this dish... I'm not sure why this trend has not yet caught on in Singapore... It should! So yummy! I give it 4/5... for this $12 dish.

Z's pulled pork eggs was yummy too... BUT!!! the pork was not piping hot, and would be nicer if it were... Eggs were nicely poached, and potatoes perfectly roasted. I would say 4/5.... (would have scored higher if the pulled pork was piping hot). Dish also part of the $12 brunch menu.



We also had a side of tater tots with cheese and bacon... Totally not worth the $9.



Z was carrying the sleeping baby before we walked into the restaurant, and he continued to sleep even after the food arrived. So we had to eat over him... and this was how it was done.