Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Week 1 in NYC


So we have just moved to NYC... Can't decide if I should be excited or not. I have always wanted to see what it was like living in NYC, but never imagined what it would have been like living in this super packed city with a baby.

What have we done in our first week? Well...

1. Central Park
The weather was perfect for an afternoon stroll to Central Park with Shane for his daily lunch/tea snack. Since I didn't have a baby chair yet, it was not quite possible to feed him at home on the jumperoo (which I make do some days). However, what gets to me is the number of touts and tourist I have to fight through on the way to the park. We normally land up at the playground, but it's definitely not baby friendly... perhaps fun with a kid that can run around, definitely not baby friendly. Plus, it's pretty dirty and strewn with lots of litter.. There's no way I would sit on the grass...



2. Swimming class
Signed up for swimming classes with Shane. The little boy cried almost through the whole class. Shane was pretty much fine for the first bit before all the other kids came. When he saw other babies, he started screaming, and nothing would soothe him until I took him away. Hmmm.. is this some form of stranger anxiety?


3. Walk about NYC
Since I couldn't be out for more than a few hours (because I haven't figured how to use the bath room with him in a carrier or a stroller big enough to fit into the tiny toilet, I cannot go too far and too long from home if I'm alone. So we made it about +/- 20 blocks from where we live.


4. Stay home and play
I would say we did quite a fair bit at home. For starters, I think Shane has grown quite a fair bit (developmentally). It was only this week he started rolling from one end of the bed to the other and back. It was like he knew where the bed ended and stopped and went the other direction. Also, he started having so much fun in his jumperoo. Previously, he would just jump in it, this time he started to really talk to the monkey, elephant and parrot on the jumperoo.... Each day, we also had a bit of a reading time, and sing along.

Mummy finally bought little Shane a portable baby chair with a Thomas the train play table!

Time for funny faces too...

 
Reading Time