Thursday, December 26, 2013

Washing Milk Bottles

So I initially thought hot water and a sterilizer could wash and solve all my problems with bottles and pumping equipment. It's been 2 weeks since I opened and started using the Medela pump set. I never did pump into a bottle for Shane initially, but after a few weeks I thought it might be great to let popo and the daddy have a chance at feeding Shane.

For the last 2 weeks, all I did was rinse the milk off the baby bottles and the pump equipment and threw them in the sterilizer, then re-used them later. Only a few days back, I discovered that the milk was actually fairly 'oily' and made the bottles look greasy. I had not realized this before (maybe I was still in dreamland when I was washing up the bottles). Someone should actually write a book on dos and don'ts. So i jumped onto google to check out "how to wash baby milk bottles".

Google tells me that I should use soapy water. OK, now what exactly is soapy water? Seems like a fairly dumb question, but should I use the bar soap, bath soap, dish washing liquid, or is there some sort of baby dish washing detergent? So I googled a little more about ingredients in a soap etc. How complicated can all these get!!

Finally settled for this:
Dapple Baby Bottle & Dish Liquid.
A whooping $6.49 from diapers.com (cheaper than what you can get on Amazon) for a 16.9 oz bottle. After purchasing, I realized it was cheaper at Bed Bath and Beyond. Ya well… about $0.50 cheaper.

This product claims to be made of natural ingredients that does not have phthalates, paragons, SLS, SLES or dyes. Well, it's got better reviews the the dish washing liquid from Seventh Generation. I will post an update on the product shortly after I've used it.