Wednesday, August 10, 2016

My Baby's Allergies

Last week, I took Jed to see the allergist... It should have been something that should have been done a long long time ago. I didn't think his eczema was caused by allergies. I always thought it was a dermatological issue. Shane had the same skin problem, which magically disappeared after 6-7 months.

I started looking into going to an allergist only after I noticed his face turning red (with hives) after eating / smearing yoghurt all over his face. A friend recommended one doctor to me, but too bad he doesn't take new patients. So I googled and landed up with this one. Dr Centeno. Well, she isn't the most friendliest person around, but well, Jed needs a doctor, not a friend.

Anyhow, Jed did a skin test... and OMG OMG... I was in shock for about 2-3 days before I finally got over that initial shock.


So this poor boy is allergic to... (let's try saying this in a few breaths)
Dust, Mold...
Peanuts, Milk, Eggs, Chicken, Soy, Green Peas...
And... Strawberry, Apple, Banana, Orange, Cantaloupe (melon)

So So So... I'm just so so glad he's got no gluten allergies. There's still quite a few other things that we haven't tested yet, so.... I don't think this is the end. I'm just hoping that most of these (especially the fruits) are just temporary and he will grow out of it.

Then I was told by the doctor to avoid those foods since I'm nursing him. I tried so hard for one day. It's almost impossible. I guess if I skip chicken, then what do i eat? Pork? Lamb? (We don't eat beef at home). Tough.
Next... Milk allergy? What do I have with my coffee? No dairy.. and he's allergic to Soy too... I've tried rice milk *disgusting*... and my latest favourite... Flax Milk.
$3.49 for half gallon

 Fortunately we're living in the USA where these things are not expensive. I bet you can't even find flax milk in Singapore. (and yes I also found mayo that is dairy free and egg free!!)

I don't even want to go through the list.

We have a follow up next month. So let's all just say a little prayer for baby Jed... God will heal in His time.